"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Wrap Up

I just wanted to share a few of my favorites from Christmas.  These are in no special order, just as they come to me.
 #1  I heard Lylah in the dining room by the tree.  She was ringing a bell that was on an ornament and screaming, "Put money in it!  Put money in it!"  She has seen the bell ringers and this was her ode to their work.  I have never heard them screaming or saying to put money in it.  But she got the point.  It was pretty cute.

#2  Last year Lylah got a nativity set that she could play with from my brother's family.  She loved to play with it.  She really loved carrying around the Baby Jesus.  She would tell him," Wait right here Baby Jesus.  I gotta go potty."  She also slept with both of the angels form the set.  One in each hand.  I looked at the way she had the nativity scene set up once and there were all the usual players and a fairey princess.  Who knew there was one there?



#3 We consiously chose not to make Santa a big deal or promote Santa in any way.  We looked at him in Christams decor and in some books at school.  He even made an appearance at our school's Christmas party.  But we said Santa was fun to pretend at Christmas time.  She was happy to think of him as a story and could tell you all about him, complete with a round of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and a cute finger-play called santa Pop .  We just could not see the logic behind us trying to get her to believe that Santa was real (when we know he's not) and trying to tell her Jesus IS real (because we know he is).  Neither can she see or truly grasp yet.  So the only way we could get her to begin to understand the real meaning of Christmas was to tell her it was Jesus' birthday.  I realize that Jesus  was not turning another year older this year, but Lylah was so excited to hear that it was Jesus' birthday that she had to have a cake for him.  I was almost all she could think of.  Her idea was to include hats, and balloons too.  I convinced her that all of the Christmas decoratoins were for the big Celebration.  That seemed to satisfy her.  On Christmas Eve Lylah and I made a cake for Jesus.  It was not pretty.  It was, in fact, ugly.  But I don't think Jesus minded.  I knew Lylah did not.    She ate with gusto.  Happy birthday Jesus.




I am sure there are more favorites...this being my favorite Christmas ever ,ever ever, EVER, ever. But I don't want to bore anyone with anymore tidbits.
Happy Christmas everyone.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet and pretty--I love the stories of my Lyolah--she is one smart cookie--I could have sworn there was a fairy princess somewhere at the nativity also!!!!
    love to you all
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading all the new posts and seeing pictures of your special Christmas. Celie really loves watching the vidoes of Lylah. Kepp them coming.

    I am glad you had such a memorable Christmas - free of illness this year. :) I love the basement as a play area for Lylah.

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.