"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Jack-O-Lanterns

Glen got the ball rolling on the pumpkins this year. He had the awesome idea of carving the little pumpkins. They were not the ity-bity kind but the small-ish kind that are good for pies, I think. Lylah was very into the scooping of seeds with her little spoon tool and getting the seeds into a brownie pan. She was thrilled that I said I would cook them in the oven and we would make a treat of them.

In the end they were very cute. Glen's is the one with the upside down question mark nose and mine ( Lylah's ) the circle nose. It's funny that his looks the way it does because it looks like every doodle I have ever seen of his. If you put his and a hundred others in a line up, I could find it for sure.
We had no candles in the house at all and Aunt Lori came to our rescue with some tea lights. When the pumpkins were done and sitting on the table Lylah said to me, "oh Mommy, look at it look at it" But when I lit them and turned off the light in the dining room to reveal the picture above, she was rendered speechless for about 3 seconds before she said the same words again but much quicker and louder. It takes a lot to render her speechless, but a tiny lit pumpkin will apparently d the trick. It has been so exciting for us this year to share all the fun family traditions because she finds such a thrill in them and actually remembers the event. This was a very happy day!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the pumpkins! they looked amazing. We never ended up doing any. Matthew wants to do a "fall carving" but I say why even bother at this point? who has ever even heard of a thanksgiving carving for a pumpkin? I may get the silly tail and wings to ADD TO a pumpkin, but I will not be doing any carving.

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.