"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Acorn Tops and Felt Glittered Ornaments

Lylah and I have been taking walks and collecting all kinds of fall goodies. My favorites are the acorns and acorn tops. Hers are crab apples, but they don't last very long after they are picked. On our last visit to the park we gathered about 25 acorn tops. She was overjoyed to find them. So was I. We stuffed our pockets full and I made up my mind to make something from them.
Lylah
is doing every tradition for the first time this year ( as she does not remember doing it in years past because she was too young to know). So all things Christmas are VERY exciting. I bought her a little tensile tree and we needed decorations that would not break or be dangerous in her room. Enter the acorn tops. I made felt bottoms for the acorn tops and she shook them in clear plastic and silver glitter. Here is my attempt at a tutorial for making the sweet acorns.


1. Gather the acorn tops ( and pine cones too).

2. Have someone who knows how to use power tools drill a small hole in the top of the cap. Yeah, that's my 2 year old pushing the trigger. It's safe...Dad is there. He worked on following directions and red light green light. She was a pro. See the look of determination on her face?!

3. Thread a length of string through the hole and tie a knot. I used some cording because it was sturdy and white and would go with the silver tree.


4. Trace a circle in the circumference you think works best onto the felt pieces.

5. Sew a running stitch around the edge of the felt circle.
6. Stuff the circle and draw up the thread tightly to make a small closed pouch.
7. Hot glue the acorn cap and string to the felt pouch.


8. It should look like this.


9. Use school glue and brush to apply glue to all the surface of the acorn.


10. Drop the acorn into a zip top bag with glitter in it and SHAKE like the dickens. I used clear plastic glitter and silver glitter mixed.

11. When you are done it should look like this.

My willing assistant looked like this.

The tree looked like this. Lylah drew in a breath and exclaimed, " Beautiful and Lovely. Oh Merry Christmas, right?! It's my best ever, EVER, ever, ever, ever!"


3 comments:

  1. I love these!!!!!! What a great tutorial. now, if we only had acorns in our neck of the woods.... and if Celie would/could only sit still in a chair for any length of time, that would be awesome. I am getting worried that we have done something wrong where her sitting still is concerned. She is too wiggly to be trusted.

    Lylah's tree (and expressions) are adorable!!! I am sure she loves looking at it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely wonderful!! I'm so impressed with your "tutorial"... but perhaps i'm most impressed with your inclusion of the word, "dickens" as an instruction. lovely. i will call you soon! this week! love, loveday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenny I loved this--how beautiful--you are so talented and I am sure our little Lylah will opick up on that--but how lucky to have a mommy who can do all these things--loved this--and I love her expressions of saying things--how sweet.
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.