"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Fail


I was going to call this little post a craft fail...but as I looked at the pictures I chose to take of my kid wearing the craft fail, I see that there is more than just a "miss-craft" going on here.

There are fails on many levels.

1. Child standing on the dining room table (with shoes on, too)

2. She looks like she may either jump or fall off the table...and yet, I just keep taking the picture.

3. Child playing with keys and wearing a rather devious grin...

4. Child's lunch getting cold on the table because Mommy needs another picture.

5. She was allowed to write with a dry erase marker and no art smock. She got a permanent mark on her lower left side. WILL NEVER COME OUT!!

6. Good thing it was a fail in the craft department and I will have to scrap it and try again.

On to the craft fail portion...

I have seen tutorials on making your kid's too small t-shirts into a dress by adding a skirt. Looked easy. Looked fun. Seemed like a money saver. I thought I would give it a try.

But here's the catch, I just can't seem to do anything quick or easy. Why is this? I try to hard to make stuff look awesome and am never satisfied? Maybe. I cannot grasp the concept of "less is more?" Maybe. I am not really a sew-ist? Sometimes true.

Whatever the case, I made this wreck in about 5 hours. Yes 5!!!

WHAT?!! You may ask if I merely sewed a skirt onto a tee. Yes. I also made long sleeves into short elastic sleeves. And it was a bubble skirt. And I gathered a whole yard of fabric onto the skirt. A whole yard gathered up!! For a little one with a 20 inch waist!! I mean, over kill, right?!

I over gathered and the skirt looked silly, and too much, and dread!! HOMEMADE. (in a bad way)

But since she ruined the shirt, I am not going to attempt to fix this dress. I am going to un-gather the skirt and use the yard of cute fabric for a little sundress or shirt and shorts or something.

When it is done I will show you a non-fail. I might even photograph it in an more appropriate location, like the front yard. Smile.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this post. All the "fails" made me laugh b/c I 1) did not really notice them until you pointed them out 2) do the same thing sometimes and 3) they are just cute.

    Your "fail" was good. A LOT better than anything I would ever even attempt. I did not even realize that was a l/s shirt until you mentioned it. Very nice. The first picture has to be my favorite - I love the devious smile she has in it. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.