"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

X-rated Gingerbread Boy

As I said in a previous post, the kids made paper gingerbread likenesses. I have a few specimens to share that I thought you might enjoy. The first was created in pure innocence. My class friend wanted to make a candy cane on his boy for decoration but he had already started putting paper buttons down the front of the gingerbread boy. Rather than have to start over, he just added the hook and made is cane upside down. He then added the Puff paint to accent the shape. He stepped back proudly admiring his work. "So now you can really tell, right?" I said, "Oh, Yeah! Mom and Dad are gonna love it!" I gave him the freedom to create his artwork. I will let his 9 year old brother enlighten him about his creation. I am sure it will take big brother about 2 seconds to see what the 4 year old in his creative frenzy did not. Good times in preschool!!!

(Insert off-color Joke here)

They were creating all kinds of fashion. The one above on the left made his have bones. Good thinking, I told him. He said bones were so he would not fall down. The one on the right got a belt and below it a belly button (added with a snicker). I love to hear all the reasoning.

My job is good. I am so blessed to be working in a place where I have can work every day, be totally worn out at the end, and still want to go again the next day because it feel like I am doing what I am called to do right now. I am grateful for the friendship I have in co-workers, for freedom and encouragement to be creative, and for wonderful kids whose early learning I am privileged to influence. How wonderful to think that children come to my class excited to learn and thinking that school is fun! I hope they keep the joy of learning and discovering always. Maybe they will not remember me specifically, but hopefully they will leave my class with a desire to learn and a desire to be a friend to others. That's my goal.

Wow! I was not intending to be philosophical, but I am grateful. God had given me a wonderful opportunity to touch the lives of children and families. I have a ministry here. I was feeling a bit jolly and joyful because of Christmas and my heart is thankful for the gift of a job that pays my bills and gives me a ministry too. Am I anxious to get out of school for a break? YES!!! But I also want to keep on teaching while it is my time to do so. Only 2 days this week!! Come on Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.