"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Finnished!!

It only took 3 years and 4 Pride and Prejudice viewings to get Lylah's Christmas stocking done. Poor baby has been promised ( in my mind ) a Christmas stocking since before she was born. This will be her third Christmas and she, at last, has a stocking! I got my niece's stocking done a week or two ago and then started work on Lylah's. I totally intended to have stockings on my ETSY shop this Christmas, but it did not happen. I will get myself together to get them done for next year. I was in a funk all of last year. I had a stressful new job ( in good and bad ways) and I was dealing with the loss of our precious baby, Anna. I was just barely hanging in there. But right now, praise Jesus, I am feeling pretty good. I am feeling well, I one year of job under my belt and a fantastic assistant to help me this year. I have been given hope even through the loss of our long anticipated third baby. I have been given peace, and faith, and been loved by my sweet husband and friends. All of this, plus the inspiration given to me by my bundle of crazy two-year-old bliss and a plethora of bloggy goodness, has given me the push I needed to get my chapped hands in motion.

So, without further adieu.... Lylah's long awaited "boot"
The stocking base is my favorite old kakki pants.  I have made all my stockings this way.  Who knew it was "upcycling".  It just looks more cozy.  I used a lot of my favorite ribbons and tried out the stripes pattern with varied widths of wool felt and ric rac and ribbon. I embroidered the snowflakes on top after I machine sewed all the stripes down. I hand sewed the pocket design and toe and heel patches. I used all my favorite designs from other family stockings and made Lylah's into my favorite yet. Glen's was the first I made in remotely this style ( made a whole set for my fam when I was in high school not in the same way as these). I made mine second and next a set for Chris and Susan and their kids my mom and dad, and Matthew and Sarah and Lilly ( and now Celie too). They have gotten progressively better. Now mine and Glen's will look very shabby next to Lylah's. Maybe I will do new ones for us next. Glen does not want a new one for sentimental reasons...so maybe I can chop his up and up-cycle it. We will see I guess.

Used Grammy Logan's sequins and beads, my favorite ribbons and felt, and Grandmother Blazer's seed beads for Mouse eyes and fun ric rac for embellishments. I am so thankful to have so many people give me their crafting things. It adds history and family to my projects. Makes me love the finished product more and more.
I made a little plush mouse to go inside the pocket of the stocking. i was inspired to do this by the overalls my mom sent her from Gymboree. They had a little Panda that was attached to the pocket and she loved it. Took care of it and kissed it a lot. I made up the pattern myself and even made him have movable and bendable legs and arms. I will have to make more mini plushies. It was quite fun and I loved the result.
Here she is trying on her "Boot". She knows she will find a present inside it on Christmas morning, but she has not quite got the idea that it is not really a boot. She said she now needs "anovee one for the other foot, please" Love the tongue out. She is both working hard and being silly.

Here is a link to the stockings I made for my sister and her family. I love to see them all together. Makes me need to get new ones done for me and Glen!!

5 comments:

  1. I love it!!!!!!!! I am going to take pictures of ours tomorrow and post them at some point. Celie has been pretty sick this weekend and I have not done much of anything except hold her and watch "That Baby" DVD a million times over. She is an addict of "Brass in Pocket". A little random for a 21 month old, but really cute at the same time.

    You put so much love and time into your stockings. I truly adore all of ours! They look so beautiful hanging in the living room. I love the mouse in the boot. You should make the mouse little boots to go with her big boot. :) I say that like it is a simple task, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny--that is absolutely beautiful--I love the way you incorporate family into things--I know the one you made me and your daddy is always kept in a very special place every year--I always want to keep it out all year long--but the "boot" for Lylah is sooooooooo pretty--you truly have a gift--I love the mouse--cutiest thing i ever saw.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work, Jen! Artisan quality all the way--you should make a MINT off those next year :) --Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,

    Very cute!!! Your finished "boot" shows all the time and thought you put into it. I love the little mouse. What a cute idea :-) I am sure Lylah will cherish this for many years to come. You did a wonderful job!

    - Marci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!! i really enjoyed making it and I think I will really try to get the shop going. I appreciate the positive comments.

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.