"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Oh Mommy, There's a Graden On My Mirror

I have finished another element of Lylah's room.  I have had a brass mirror in her room, hung at her level, since she was about 12 months old.  I have always wanted to do something else with the frame and had something completely different in mind for the finished product.  But last week I changed my mind and was able to whip out the mirror in a few hours.

Before:  A nice Beveled Mirror ( uh...quite dirty too) with a dated brass frame.  From Grammy Jones' de-stashing efforts a few years back.
Lylah peeking at herself in the Garden Mirror. To the mirror I added a topper made of left over mat board and covered the brass frame and the topper with a velveteen-ish material. I then made two different sized mushrooms out of felt and attached them with a few blades of felt grass.  I then made flowers out of a million buttons in varied sizes and colors backing them with felt (or not) and topping them with sequins (or not).  I attached everything (including many felt leaves) with hot glue.  And Ta Da!
She wanted to make sure I got her new-from-Grammy-Blazer- Strawberry- Shortcake- Purse in the shot.  You can also see the little felt mushrooms at the bottom.
I thought I better add this picture although it does not show much new of the mirror.  It is a typical and silly face I see all the time from Lylah.  Her fake smile.  See our wedding photos for the originator (Daddy) of the fake smile.
Here is a close up of the button flowers.  It was very fun to make and I only burnt myself 300 times.  I listened to Peter Pan on CD read by Jim Dale.  He is outstanding and he does great voices.  I recommend Peter Pan to any reader.  Oh the whimsy and fun and a rollicking good tale to boot!
Well there you have it.  One  forest themed/ garden themed mirror redo.  I have more to show tomorrow too.  I'm on a roll!

1 comment:

  1. I SUPER love the mirror!!!!! It is adorable. Felt goodies are my faves right now. I have been trying to figure out how to make some of those flowers and stuff to add to our fabric embroidery hoops over Celie's dresser. The mirror is seriously SUPER cute. You could sell ones like it for major bank. Buy the mirrors at Hobby Lobby when they are 1/2 off and get to work. I love Lylah's smile too! The fakes smiles are so cute to me. I meant to say this in the other comment a few days ago but her hair is so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.