"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

$2 Clock Made Vintage and New

Here is the newest installment of craftiness for the bedroom.  I had a $2 clock that I intended to do something fabulous with for Lylah's baby nursery.  I had seen a very cute clock by Land of Nod and wanted to try something like it, but then it flopped and I tried something else and I hated that too.  And so it sat in a wasteland of unfinished projects and scrawled on a "to do" list.  Skip ahead nearly 4 years and I have revamped it and LOVE it.

You may or may not recall that I have been asked by several older ladies if I wanted to go through their crafts stash/sewing stuff and take what I wanted because they were cleaning house and choosing not to craft anymore.  I, of course, jumped on the idea and MY craft stash is now crazy awesome with vintage trims, buttons, and general crafty goodness.  My total favorites are the tiny plastic deer from Glen's grandma.

Anywho, from one of my treasure hunts I recovered about 6 or 8 pieced and never finished quilt blocks.  I top stitched one of them and embroidered numbers around the edges.  I then affixed it to the clock face and glued the tips to the outside rim of the clock face.  I put the hands back on, made sure it worked, and popped the cover back on the top (with no small effort-these things are not really made to come apart.)  I love the look.  Sweet and vintage and Grandmother's Kitchen looking.  Perfect!!!

Here are a few shots of the clock.  They are as good as I could get.  I think I REALLY need to fix up a light box to get better shots---or read my camera manual.  The first is the recipient peering at her clock (she had to be in one.)
Oh the fun!!!  I will have more tomorrow or maybe Monday depending on how it all goes.  I am elbows deep in a floor mat play area for the doll house.   Listening to audio books while I work now.  LOVE it!!

3 comments:

  1. I love all the new posts! I have read them all but did not have a chance to comment on all of them. I really do love all the crafts you are doing to make Lylah's room so special and lovely. She is a lucky lady! There is a very small part of me that wishes we had snow here every once in a while so we could do cool stuff like the snow palace in the tub with all the colors! HOW FUN!!

    Does it make me a terrible mom that I bought an el cheapo clock like the one you revamped (mine is yellow) for Celie's room and just left it as is? She was thrilled to have a clock and I am thrilled that I don't have to leave the room to see what time it is every moment of the day! Dang, the clock is LOUD though. I love the revamp you did, it is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not bad at all to get the cheapo clock. I am sure Lylah would have loved the plain clock too. I sometime go WAY overboard!!!! But it has been fun and she really does love the room

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely design, I like all of the different patterns!

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.