"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pumpkin Patch Adventures

Pumpkin patch day was so fun and SOOOOO cold. It was windy and a little misty at times and only 34 outside. We only stayed at Red Barn Farm for about 30 to 40 minutes. It took us that long to get there! But we did have fun and Lylah loved selecting her pumpkins. There were tons of varieties to choose from and they were all so lovely. You know, when Glen and I bought our house we were silly enough to name it just like the Manor Houses in Little Women and Pride and Prejudice. Well ...maybe I named the house and Glen humored me. Whatver the case, we both agree that we love Autumn. It's lovely. The leaves here right now are amazing! All up and down our tree-lined streets the colors are on fire. It's an explosion of reds and oranges and yellows and, my favorite, leaves with all three at once. I love the leaves in transition. (I could draw life parallels here, but I will spare you and I both.) Oh, I forgot, You are wondering what the house is named...The House of Perpetual October. Totally corny, I know, and I really should not admit that I named my 2 bedroom house. But I love the Fall, that is the real point here.Here is a shot of Lylah acting out what the Turkey says and does. It is a bit of a strut and run and a pretty convincing gobble. She can do a pretty realistic elephant too. I am pretty basic with my animal sounds. I think my mouth is too small or my tongue too big or my teeth all a jumble that prevents me from true mastery of authentic sounding animals. Aunt Lori, Glen's sis and our friend to boot, on the other hand, has no limits. You name it, it sounds correct, and fun. ( I can make a giraffe sound though--bet you don't know what they sound like--our favorite children's librarian told me).Taken at the beginning of our visit. As you can see, it is windy and it looks pretty crisp. Lylah is sporting her too small vest from last year and her new hoodie jacket. The vest is a stop-gap until we are ready for the BIG COAT. Shouldn't be too long now. Winter seems to be here already. I am jealous of my Florida family who are still frolicking on the beach. But, I don't complain too much. As I said before, I love fall.
A cute one of Lylah amongst the pumpkin selections. Notice the cold looking nose and the very cute and "long-ish" pony tails?!

She laughed and laughed upon noticing that the chickens were eating green beans.

Glen said, "Lylah, feel the sheep. Isn't it so soft?!" She said, " Oh, Yes!! and a little bit dirty too.""Look at me, Mommy! I can drive a tractor!" You can also see the mounds of pumpkins so prettily placed around. How fall-ish!! They were selling kettle corn and mulled apple cider too. Last one: Lylah and Daddy. He is wrapped around her tiny finger and he loves it. She is SO into Daddy right now. If Daddy says it, then it is the best thing ever. She always wants to sit with Daddy and be right where he is. If he is not there, then I guess mommy will do.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously? Don't be jealous of our weather.... Tuesday it was a rediculous 98 outside! NINETY-EIGHT! In october! I am completely jealous of your fall leaves and pumpkin patches. We will get our pumpkin this weekend... from the Piggly Wiggly. :) Funny, no?

    I had no idea that giraffes made a sound... I will have to google that one. I have told Celie they say "mmmlllaaaaaa" while I stick out my tongue. Guess I will have to work on that one. As you would guess, my animal sounds are SUPER LAME as well. we have a lady at church that works in the nursery... she makes the most realistic animal noises I have ever heard. It is really something.

    How funny that we both live in places where you can see a tractor. Here is a sad story... we were all out on the porch one afternoon and we heard a sound coming down the road.. it was a ways off. I said "Celie, do you hear the tractor?" Mother and Daddy were there and were skeptical on the sound being a tractor but I stuck to my guns. Sure enough, about 2 minutes later, a big tractor came driving by the house down the middle of the road. Sad? Totally. She is completely in love with tractors though. it is one of her favorite words to say. I think it comes from playing with a ton of boy toys (tractors, trucks, cars) at Jenn's b/c she can say all of those words and says them with a lot of gusto! :)

    I love all the pictures. The turkey walk is something you need to video tape and put on here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures of the pumkin patch--it brought back some very precious memories for me-They are all so good of everyone--love Glenns legs!!!! ha I love fall and I wish Lylah could see the house all decorated with pumkins and lights--can't wait at might when I am off to light all my candles and just sit and read and enjoy the smell of my pier one candles--Ginger spice ofcourse---thanks for the pictures and the memories
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.