"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

An excuse for an obsession

OK. I have said it before. I am obsessive. I obsess over movies, people, SMELLS (good or bad),food, crafts, babies, music, and the list goes on. You name the topic and I can tell you what I am currently fanatical about related to said topic.

Wanna play? Oh goodie!

Music: Right Now...Natalie Merchant Leave Your Sleep (I'll have to do a whole post on it soon. it would be a shame to talk about it now when I am SO OBSESSED I could talk a lot more)

Movies: Well Pride and Prejudice silly that you did not get that one before me. I have also added Cranford to the list. Maybe it's own post too. LOVE it!! And many many more of all kinds. My conversations are all made up of one movie quote after another...I have no original thoughts.

Smells: Love the smell of clean laundry and soap and freshness. Love the smell of 'right before the rain' dirt. Crazy for it really. Hate (and smell often because of all of our rain lately) the smell of worms. Maybe specifically worms cooking on concrete. Hate to smell most perfumes and air fresheners. Oh and many more. This may be my biggest obsession. Just ask my poor husband who gets to hear about each one...in detail...goes beyond "pregnant nose". I have the condition for life.

Food
: I could go on and on. But, currently it's spaghetti. Had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday and only lunch, dinner, and a nibble of a snack on Sunday. Having it for lunch tomorrow too! Can't wait! Oh, and then there's Chick-fil-A...

Sweat: Why is sweat an obsession, you may ask? It's because I hate it so bad. Because it was 105 with the heat index today. Because it was 105 and the air in our car is broken AGAIN!!!!! ( to be fixed this week hopefully for the 10th and final time--by a new shop) Because it makes me feel gross, duh. And because I seem to do a lot more of it as a pregnant person. Oh how I hate to sweat. Maybe that's why I am a bit on the heavy side. I can't bear to sweat. No jungle environments for me please. I would be pleased to live at the North Pole. ( Come to think of it, the whole Christmas year round thing is absolutely perfect for me. Great idea!)

Sonic Ice: I try to enjoy a Sonic Iced Tea or Diet Coke(sometimes with lime) everyday. Now, I realize that this is not thrifty. I do try to go during Happy Hour when I can get the beverage 1/2 price, but if I don't make it, well....I might still get a drink anyway. It's the ICE!! I am obsessed with the ice. I am a serious ice snob. And for me, Sonic is about as awesome as it gets (except the ice machine at my church growing up--I could have sustained myself on ice alone my whole childhood).
The other day I got a big bag of ice from Sonic. Glen feels that this is an utter waste of money because he is not obsessed with ice. I, however, know that this $2 bag of ice, while more expensive than some crappy ice you can get elsewhere, will be the agent of giant amounts of savings. Just think...I spend $2 a day on an awesome beverage. That is about $700 dollars a year. I predict that my one bag of ice can last me 3 to 4 weeks. That is $24 dollars a year for ice. I can drink my own awesome tea at home. It is currently brewed with mint leaves and Lipton Decaf and a little Splenda. Awesome and nearly free. I say Glen should chill out about the ice and realize what kind of savings I am adding to the budget. With that kind of savings I should probably hit the fabric store and the craft store. I could use a few spools of ribbon.....
Look at that inviting glass of tea and yummy bag of 100 calorie popcorn. Tea that good deserves Sonic Ice. I will now enjoy a nice drink and a favorite snack and an Episode of Iron Chef America. Oh the OBSESSION with Iron Chef....but I will spare you the details ( because that would waste my time and my ice might melt)


EDIT: When presented with the evidence and the numbers, my dear husband agreed that Sonic ice is a good thing and "far be it from him to deny (me) such a small thing that brings (me) so much joy." Yippee!! No more hard sell for the ice of my dreams....literally. Pregnancy dreams are a hoot. I should write these puppies down.

1 comment:

  1. How could we work buying an ice machine like FBC had growing up? I ALWAYS talk about that ice and the endless moutains of ice I ate from it at least 2 times a week. But Sonic ice is a very close second AND I had no idea you could buy their ice!!!!!!!! Granted, we live an hour from a sonic so it may melt by the time we make it home, but with some provisioning, we could make it work. I currently eat 3-4 huge cups of ice a day. I can't get enough of it. So much so that I have popped the sealants out of one of my back teeth. Here's to hoping I don't get a cavity while it is out - I am not wasting my time replacing it while pregnant b/c I KNOW I will still eat my 3-4 cups of ice a day. And how could you NOT be over the moon with P&P (the BBC version, of course)? It is one of the greatest movies of all time! I have not heard of the other one you listed, I will have to check it out!!!! And the smells, don't even get me started on that. I think that is some freak trait that all 3 of the Blazer kids have... our poor spouses!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.