"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." Anne Shirley
These are the happy days I wish to celebrate, and I guess I will blog about them.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blueberry Mufffins with Almond Crumble or My Bakery Best

Never have I made a muffin that was pretty enough to look at AND yummy enough to eat until now. I was on a quest for an easy and mostly good for you breakfast that Lylah can take in the car on our way to school. Because, lets face it, I cannot manage to keep myself in order for more than 2 days in a row. So as great as waking up early and getting dressed and making breakfast for my child (and self) sounds, it's just not gonna happen. But I can sometimes muster the energy to cook in the evenings. Such was the case on Tuesday. I made amazing blueberry muffins with almond crumble on top. Even though I am breaking my own "fruit rules," I ate one, and really enjoyed it.

Here's the recipe. BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH ALMOND CRUMBLE
Ingredients

1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/4 veg oil
1 large egg
1/2 C milk
1 1/2 C frozen Blueberries

Crumble;
1/2 C sugar
1/3 flour
1/4 C melted butter
1 t Almond Extract (or a little more)

Preheat to 400 degrees F. Line muffin cups. Combine sugar and dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine wet ingredients and mix until combined. Pour the wet into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the thawed, rinsed, and drained blueberries. Scoop into muffin cups and fill until almost to the top. Batter will be very thick. Top the muffins with the crumble mixture. To make the crumble: Mix all ingredients with a fork and sprinkle on top of the muffins. Bake for about 21 min. (but my oven runs hot)
See! Yummy enough to eat.

Here is my sweet Lylah singing one of our favorite preschool songs. The words are: There were 3 little muffins in the bakery shop. (You know the kind with the honey and the nuts on the top) Along came a child with a penny to pay and eh bought a muffin and he ran away.....then there were no little muffins in the bakery shop....and he said What no muffins today!!!



Silly good times. P.S. She loves them so it was a success!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love the video! Lylah sounds so old now, though. :( The muffins look really tasty. As you know, I am not a fan of the cooked fruit either (pies gross me out) but I do seem to adore BB muffins, especially with crumbles on top! I am going to have to try this recipe.

    And. Who in the world gets up early to make a homemade breakfast every day of the week when they have to be out the door so early, with a toddler in tow? I think it is great that you give her breakfast at all. I admit that there have been a few times (possibly more) that Celie has had string cheese for breakfast. In all fairness, I was having some as well. But what habits am I teaching her that way? Shame on me. Muffins will be made!

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled to get your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am grateful for each one.